Wednesday 8 February 2012

Return to Hama Bead Fun


The other day on Twitter Luisa Plaja mentioned hama beads in relation to her latest book (review & guest blog post link). I'd seen them mentioned a few times, and googled them. Then I realised what they were. 



I'd had the equivalent of hama beads when I was little. I remember having great fun getting the tub down and choosing different colours for designs. I think I mostly used designs from the box, as I wasn't all that good at creating my own. 

In my efforts to increase my chilling out sessions, and still feel like I'm doing something, I ordered a Hello Kitty kit. Here's what I made 
I think this is the 'right' side, as the other side (which is what you can see on the pegboard) is where the beads merge together. The yellow is from the kit's paper - I put it down the wrong side so ironed yellow onto Miffy?
Miffy? Can't quite remember the name of the bunny. 

(un-ironed side)

Hello Kitty - she rules! Now the reason this says FF is I'm sending it to my friend in China. She, like me, is Final Fantasy Mad. The problem is I didn't realise that the hama beads are sort of backwards, if you have the un-ironed side facing. She'll know what it means though. 


(ironed side, super splodged beads to the top left of her head)

The real reason why I got Hama beads (aside from being able to send something light to my international friends) is because I want to get creative Winx style. 



I want to see if I can create hama bead designs of the fairy dust pouches (above picture is Flora's fairy dust pouch) the Charmix symbols, and a few other things. It will be a lot of trial and error, but great fun too. I'll put take photos of all attempts. 

Today's been an errand day this morning, and this afternoon I watched the last 3 episodes of Winx Season 4. I'm super excited because next I will watch the 2nd Winx movie, which I've never seen (because I bought it after I got season 4). I think I'll watch it tomorrow after I get back from work. It'll be something fun to look at after wading through my inbox - tomorrow I head back to work after a week off. It might be 'spot my desk' under a pile of post-it notes. 

Tonight I think there's Masterchef on BBC1, so I'll be watching that. I think I'll be doing some Hama beading, and some reading too. 

3 comments:

Ynysawdre Elderly Residents Association said...

That is so fab. My girls love it

Luisa Plaja said...

These are brilliant! Thank you for sharing this. :)

Nayuleska said...

It's just so much fun! I made a smaller bunny (family requested it) which I will post up later. Got translucent & glitter beads. I think I'll just pay for tubs next time.