Friday 20 February 2009

Do you know what you're writing?

No, I haven't lost the plot. Do you honestly know what you're writing?

For Imperial Intrigue, (and also Misty Chaos), since they have been written once or twice already, I'm writing the revision in a new way.

Write a chapter, thinking about what I write. Then go back and edit.

Now, my editing is this. Reading the paragraph to see if its how I roughly want it to be. Then I'm actually checking the meaning behind the words I'm using, with a humungous dictionary and thesaurus (2 separate entities, Oxford type). Turns out what I think a word means, isn't necessarily its exact meaning. So I head off to the thesaurus, check out similar words, cross reference their meaning....and I come up with a sentence which i'm happy with.

It's slow, and I think it'll speed up as I get used to using words properly. It's not something I can do with true first drafts. It would really muck up my muse.

1 comment:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I can't write unless I know what I'm writing. This slows things down alot! But it's worth my patience in the end, I think.